FG Sponsored Foreign Scholars to Embark on Protest over Unpaid Allowances

The demonstration, according to a notice issued by the Forum of BEA Scholars, will take place at the Ministry of Finance headquarters in the Central District of Abuja at 10am.
Nov. 17th 2025
FG Sponsored Foreign Scholars to Embark on Protest over Unpaid Allowances

 

Nigerian students studying abroad under the Federal Government's Bilateral Education Agreement and their parents are set to stage a protest today (Monday) over the non-payment of scholarship stipends, which they say has pushed many scholars into distress.

The demonstration, according to a notice issued by the Forum of BEA Scholars, will take place at the Ministry of Finance headquarters in the Central District of Abuja at 10am.

Parents of the affected students, who said they could no longer bear the financial and emotional strain of supporting their stranded children abroad, confirmed they would join the protest.

In the notice, the scholars said they are entitled to monthly stipends of $500 but have not received any payment this year, leaving 11 months outstanding.

They added that the Federal Government cut their 2024 stipends by 56 per cent, paying only $220 instead of the approved $500. According to the notice, the government still owes them arrears for September, October, November and December 2023.

Many of the students, who are studying in countries such as Hungary, Morocco, China, Russia and Serbia, said they were struggling to afford food, accommodation, medical care and transportation due to the prolonged delay.

The Forum of BEA Scholars said several students had taken informal jobs in violation of their scholarship terms, while others had been relying on charity.

The group linked the recent death of a Nigerian student in Morocco to the hardship caused by unpaid allowances, warning that more students were at risk if the government continued to delay payments.

Media earlier reported that the Federal Government in April 2025 announced the cancellation of the Bilateral Education Agreement scholarship programme, describing it as an unsustainable and inefficient use of public funds.

The decision followed months of complaints by stranded Nigerian scholars abroad who accused the government of failing to meet its financial obligations under the scheme.

Established through diplomatic agreements with countries such as China, Russia, Algeria, Hungary, Morocco, Egypt, and Serbia, the BEA programme has allowed hundreds of Nigerian students to pursue higher education overseas on government sponsorship.

Despite recent assurances by the Federal Government that all supplementary allowances had been paid up to December 2024—with further funds requested to cover outstanding entitlements affected by exchange rate fluctuations—the Minister of Education, Dr Tunji Alausa, announced a definitive end to the programme.

Speaking during a courtesy visit by newly elected officials of the National Association of Nigerian Students, Alausa said the government would redirect BEA funding to domestic scholarship programmes to reach a broader number of students across the country.

“In 2024, when I assumed office, I was asked to approve N650m for 60 students going to Morocco under the BEA programme. I refused. It’s not fair to Nigerian students,” Alausa said.

Alausa also expressed dissatisfaction with the lack of oversight and performance monitoring under the BEA, noting that the government sponsors annual travel for scholars without tracking their academic progress.

“In 2025 alone, we projected N9bn to fund just 1,200 students abroad. Meanwhile, millions of students in Nigeria get no support. It’s unjust and unsustainable,” the minister stated. “We have evaluated every single course these 1,200 students are studying abroad—every one of them is offered in Nigerian universities.”

He confirmed that while current BEA beneficiaries will be supported to complete their programmes, the scheme will not accept new admissions beyond 2025.

“This programme is not the best use of public funds. That money will now be used to fund local scholarships and support more students,” Alausa concluded.

By May 2025, Alausa lamented that 85 percent of Nigerian students sent abroad on government scholarships never returned to contribute to national development.

This came as he announced that tertiary institutions with fewer than 2,000 students will no longer be eligible for funding from the Tertiary Education Trust Fund.

On foreign scholarships, Alausa revealed a shift in policy, explaining that more funds would now be invested in building local capacity.

With the Federal Government’s decision not to fund foreign scholarships anymore, several beneficiaries of the BEA scholarship programme have been stranded in foreign countries.

Share this post

0 Comment

    Be the first to comment on this post

Leave a comment

More Blog Posts
Image Aug 19th. 2026

Amadeus University Receives Approval to Offer Law Degree

 The Council of Legal Education has approved the study of law to the Amadeus University, Amazi,......

Continue Reading

Image Aug 19th. 2026

Enugu Governor Appeals to Lecturers in ESUT to Suspend Strike, Commits to Upgrading Monthly Subvention

 The Enugu State Government has appealed to the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), En......

Continue Reading

Image Aug 19th. 2026

Kano Launches N27.8bn ICT, CBT Project to Benefit 44 LGAs

 The Kano State Government has awarded contracts worth ₦27.8 billion for the construction of In......

Continue Reading

Image Aug 19th. 2026

UI Top Global Ranking of Nigerian Institutions

 The University of Ibadan has emerged as the highest-ranked Nigerian university in the July 202......

Continue Reading

--> FG Sponsored Foreign Scholars to Embark on Protest over Unpaid Allowances - Boldscholar News

FG Sponsored Foreign Scholars to Embark on Protest over Unpaid Allowances

The demonstration, according to a notice issued by the Forum of BEA Scholars, will take place at the Ministry of Finance headquarters in the Central District of Abuja at 10am.
Nov. 17th 2025
FG Sponsored Foreign Scholars to Embark on Protest over Unpaid Allowances

 

Nigerian students studying abroad under the Federal Government's Bilateral Education Agreement and their parents are set to stage a protest today (Monday) over the non-payment of scholarship stipends, which they say has pushed many scholars into distress.

The demonstration, according to a notice issued by the Forum of BEA Scholars, will take place at the Ministry of Finance headquarters in the Central District of Abuja at 10am.

Parents of the affected students, who said they could no longer bear the financial and emotional strain of supporting their stranded children abroad, confirmed they would join the protest.

In the notice, the scholars said they are entitled to monthly stipends of $500 but have not received any payment this year, leaving 11 months outstanding.

They added that the Federal Government cut their 2024 stipends by 56 per cent, paying only $220 instead of the approved $500. According to the notice, the government still owes them arrears for September, October, November and December 2023.

Many of the students, who are studying in countries such as Hungary, Morocco, China, Russia and Serbia, said they were struggling to afford food, accommodation, medical care and transportation due to the prolonged delay.

The Forum of BEA Scholars said several students had taken informal jobs in violation of their scholarship terms, while others had been relying on charity.

The group linked the recent death of a Nigerian student in Morocco to the hardship caused by unpaid allowances, warning that more students were at risk if the government continued to delay payments.

Media earlier reported that the Federal Government in April 2025 announced the cancellation of the Bilateral Education Agreement scholarship programme, describing it as an unsustainable and inefficient use of public funds.

The decision followed months of complaints by stranded Nigerian scholars abroad who accused the government of failing to meet its financial obligations under the scheme.

Established through diplomatic agreements with countries such as China, Russia, Algeria, Hungary, Morocco, Egypt, and Serbia, the BEA programme has allowed hundreds of Nigerian students to pursue higher education overseas on government sponsorship.

Despite recent assurances by the Federal Government that all supplementary allowances had been paid up to December 2024—with further funds requested to cover outstanding entitlements affected by exchange rate fluctuations—the Minister of Education, Dr Tunji Alausa, announced a definitive end to the programme.

Speaking during a courtesy visit by newly elected officials of the National Association of Nigerian Students, Alausa said the government would redirect BEA funding to domestic scholarship programmes to reach a broader number of students across the country.

“In 2024, when I assumed office, I was asked to approve N650m for 60 students going to Morocco under the BEA programme. I refused. It’s not fair to Nigerian students,” Alausa said.

Alausa also expressed dissatisfaction with the lack of oversight and performance monitoring under the BEA, noting that the government sponsors annual travel for scholars without tracking their academic progress.

“In 2025 alone, we projected N9bn to fund just 1,200 students abroad. Meanwhile, millions of students in Nigeria get no support. It’s unjust and unsustainable,” the minister stated. “We have evaluated every single course these 1,200 students are studying abroad—every one of them is offered in Nigerian universities.”

He confirmed that while current BEA beneficiaries will be supported to complete their programmes, the scheme will not accept new admissions beyond 2025.

“This programme is not the best use of public funds. That money will now be used to fund local scholarships and support more students,” Alausa concluded.

By May 2025, Alausa lamented that 85 percent of Nigerian students sent abroad on government scholarships never returned to contribute to national development.

This came as he announced that tertiary institutions with fewer than 2,000 students will no longer be eligible for funding from the Tertiary Education Trust Fund.

On foreign scholarships, Alausa revealed a shift in policy, explaining that more funds would now be invested in building local capacity.

With the Federal Government’s decision not to fund foreign scholarships anymore, several beneficiaries of the BEA scholarship programme have been stranded in foreign countries.

Share this post

0 Comment

    Be the first to comment on this post

Leave a comment

More Blog Posts
Image Aug 19th. 2026

Amadeus University Receives Approval to Offer Law Degree

 The Council of Legal Education has approved the study of law to the Amadeus University, Amazi,......

Continue Reading

Image Aug 19th. 2026

Enugu Governor Appeals to Lecturers in ESUT to Suspend Strike, Commits to Upgrading Monthly Subvention

 The Enugu State Government has appealed to the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), En......

Continue Reading

Image Aug 19th. 2026

Kano Launches N27.8bn ICT, CBT Project to Benefit 44 LGAs

 The Kano State Government has awarded contracts worth ₦27.8 billion for the construction of In......

Continue Reading

Image Aug 19th. 2026

UI Top Global Ranking of Nigerian Institutions

 The University of Ibadan has emerged as the highest-ranked Nigerian university in the July 202......

Continue Reading

-->